Funding your care
Funding your care

Funding your care


This section covers general information and guidance on paying for your care.

Care funded by your council

The social care department of your local council may pay for your care. This is based on your personal circumstances, so they may visit you to assess your needs. If you qualify for financial help, your council chooses who delivers your care. It might be Guinness Care or another care company.

This easy benefit calculator will help you to see if you’re eligible for any financial support for your care costs.

If you want to change your current care provider, you can ask to switch to another provider. In these and other cases, your local council may send your care allowance to you directly. This is known as a personal budget. You can have your personal budget given to you as a direct payment, and then choose which care company to use. You can also top up the payment to receive extra services if you want to.

Paying for your own care

If you do not qualify for council funded care, you will be required to pay for your care yourself. Through paying for your own care, you get to choose the type of care and how and when you receive it.  You will be responsible for researching your options and arranging this.

Getting advice

When choosing a provider it’s important to find the right option for you or your loved one. Make sure you know what care you want and need. To get more advice on choosing your provider you can contact one of the following:

Call us on 0300 123 0705 to chat about your options
Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm

Get In Touch